June 22, 2017
Mayor Tony George is proud to announce that the 2017 City of Wilkes-Barre Farmers’ Market will open for the season on Thursday June 29 at 10 AM. The market will be open every Thursday through November 16, from 10 AM to 4 PM.
June 29 Opening Day:
- Opening Day ceremonies will be hosted by Mayor Tony George beginning at 10 AM.
- The National Anthem will be performed by John Shemo from Geisinger Health Plan.
- Between 10 AM and 2PM, The PA Dairymen and the American Dairy Association North East will help CEO’s Weinberg Food Bank provide free Farm Show milkshakes at the Wilkes-Barre Farmers’ Market. This event is an effort to raise awareness for the statewide “Fill a Glass with Hope” campaign, which helps CEO purchase milk to distribute to those in need. Milk is one of the most requested items from the food bank and food pantries across the state and this program is vital to ensure that those in need have access to it.
July 27 Children’s Day:
- Families will receive Child Safety Information from Wilkes-Barre City Police Department, Fire Department, and Health Department.
- The Luzerne County Reading Council will promote local literacy programs.
- There will be photo opportunities with Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins’ Mascot “Tux” and Dunkin’ Donuts’ mascot, “Cuppy”.
- Wilkes-Barre’s 2017 Cherry Blossom Festival Queen Kelly Grevera and Princess Alyson Lenker will also be in attendance.
September 28 Luzerne County Active Aging Day:
- Seniors will receive valuable information from the Wilkes-Barre City Health Department and the Area Agency on Aging
The 2017 “Music at the Market” Concert series is sponsored by Geisinger Health Plan and features 12 performances, listed below:
|June 29||Jeanne Zano Duo|
|July 6||Broken Road Duo|
|July 13||Empire in Decline|
|July 20||Jam Box|
|Aug 3||Mother Nature’s Sons|
|Aug 10||Son De Tres Latin Jazz Trio|
|Aug 17||Dustin Drevich|
|Aug 24||Cruise Control|
|Aug 31||Strawberry Jam Duo Sponsored by Amato Properties|
|Sep 7||Don Shappelle|
|Sep 28||Stanky and the Coalminers|